Excavator Training Course | Safety Certification
- OHS/CSA Compliant
- Certified Trainers
- Your Site or Ours
Excavator Training Course
Course Description (PDF Download)
- Pre-use Inspection Checklist: Completed at the start of every shift. Includes a walk around visual inspection for damaged parts, hydraulic line, oil, & coolant system leaks, and debris. Also a complete system function test.
- Worksite Inspection Checklist: Before starting your job always inspect the jobsite for buried utilities, drop offs, debris, over head obstructions, hazardous materials, & ground surface conditions.
- Theory Test: A complete classroom training session will provide the knowledge & understanding to operate an Excavator safely.
- Practical Hands-on Training and Assessment: Upon successful completion of the theory test, training on how to inspect, use, park, re-fuel, and transport the Excavator begins. Practical demonstration of several operating skill tasks will be given to complete the assessment.
- Understand the Regulations governing the Safe Operation of an Excavator: Federal, Provincial, and Company policy regarding industry standards.
- Types of Excavators: Crawlers (track) or Rubber Tire (wheeled).
- Main Parts and their Function: Undercarriage, Grading/Dozer Blade, Turret & Cab, Operating Controls, Engine and Hydraulic System, Work Assembly & Counter weight.
- Equipment Specifications: Dimensions & Weights, Lift and Bucket Capacities, Work Ranges.
- Stability and Capacities: Leverage and Center of Gravity, Stability Rectangle and Pyramid, Load Weight.
- Getting Ready for the Job: Use of PPE, Pre-use and Worksite Inspections, Job Assessment for Ground Disturbance and Securing the Work Area.
- Safe Operating Procedures: Machine set-up, Hydraulic Controls & making a pass, Undercutting, Trenching & Excavating, Trench Protective Systems, Proper Lifting Procedures, Working with a Signal Person.
- Parking, Shutdown, Re-fueling and Transport.